Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Why DCI: A Student's Perspective

Sarah Wang (2nd from left) covering an AHS football game for DCI

After completing her first semester in the Arcadia Unified School District Digital Communications Internship (DCI) program, sophomore Sarah Wang wrote the following on her application for the Spring 2017 semester. It was very eloquently written and truly spoke to the mission of DCI, and what we are trying to accomplish. Sarah graciously agreed to have her words shared publicly which we greatly appreciate because we couldn't have said it any better than this:

"DCI has opened up my world in so many different ways. I’ve learned so much, met so many people, and created many wonderful, valuable experiences. Prior to joining DCI, I’d never touched a DSLR camera and only applied hoping to grab the secretary position. I’m so proud of myself and my fellow DCI interns for having come so far in just one semester!

Now, I can easily operate a camera, manage social media accounts, work in iMovie, write and produce videos, and communicate effectively with others. I’ve discovered new passions through DCI and now I take my DSLR with me everywhere I go. If I can make such a great impact on my life and the lives of others in just a few months, I can only imagine the amazing opportunities that lay ahead. I hope to sharpen my skills so I can give back to our community and continue to make an impact on others through my work in DCI and social media.

Given the opportunity, I’d be thrilled to work again with all these incredibly talented interns I now consider family and set a shining example for not just the new interns, but the entire community. If I could start the year over again, I know applying to DCI would be my first priority because DCI has been one of the best investments of my time. Not only have I learned to work in the fields of digital communications, photojournalism, event planning, and marketing, I’ve also learned the value of time-management, communication, responsibility, teamwork, and working hard. DCI has absolutely fulfilled and gone above and beyond the hopes and goals I made for myself at the beginning of the semester, and I very much hope that I’ll get to experience that feeling again."

-Sarah Wang, AHS 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment